Bike Commuting Toolkit
Step 1: Find a Safe Route
Download the Mesa County Safe Routes mobile app to find the safest route to school or find routes around the Grand Valley for walking, biking, and rolling.
Step 2: Gather Your Gear
- Helmet. Protect yourself!
- Lock. Use a D-Lock or Kryptonite lock to safely secure your bike.
- Lights. Be visible to drivers with a white front light and a red rear light.
- Your ID. Identification is important in case of an emergency.
- Cell Phone. A fully charged phone may be helpful for navigation and in case of an emergency.
- Something to Carry Your Stuff. Try a rack, basket or pannier.
- Flat-changing Supplies. Bring a bike pump, spare tube, and tire levers to remove the tire.
Tip for New Commuters: Think about bringing a change of clothes and lunch and other supplies you will need for the day! Consider leaving an extra change of clothes, shoes, toiletries, and towel at work so you have less to carry during your commute.
Step 3: Support Bike Commuting
Employers and businesses can support commuting.
Provide a bike rack.
Provide basic bike repair tools. Consider partnering with neighboring
businesses to install an outdoor bike repair station.
Display local biking maps, commuter routes, and other printed materials.
Providing small incentives to encourage bicycle commuting. This can be especially
beneficial if parking is limited at or near your workplace.
Consider becoming a bicycle friendly business here. Review the Attributes of a Bicycle Friendly
Business or apply to become a Bike Friendly Business here.
- Mesa County Safe Routes. Find your safest route around Mesa County, safety tips, and information on the District 51 Walk & Wheel Program.
- Bicycle Colorado. Get safety and commuter tips.
- Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT). Review Colorado bike law and everything else you need to know for bicycling in Colorado.
- The League of American Bicyclists. Find resources for becoming a bike-friendly community.
- Mesa County Trail Locator. Use this tool to access local trails.